Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Furbabies

We have just the darnedest luck with furbabies...aka pets...

We got Mikeal his first puppy when he was about 9 months old. It was a mini rottweiler... he was run over less than a month after we got him...but he was also CONSTANTLY getting out of the house we were living in, digging holes under the fence, etc...it was bound to happen.

After that I got a big pit/chow mix. Biggest baby that'd ever kill someone who stepped in my apartment without my consent...he disappeared a few weeks after I brought him to my new apartment...I think my XH's friend had something to do with that...

So I went a while without having any sort of pet. Mikeal was around 2.5 when a friend of mine insisted on giving him a teddy bear hamster...absolutely best pet I've had... LOL...very friendly, lazy, and happy just being in his small...modified to larger cage. Very docile too. She later gave us two more, the older momma one and another young one. The momma ended up dying about 6 months later...she was 4 years old, so WAY well past her time. The youngest one ended up running away, and the original one was killed on Mikeal's 4th birthday by some of his "friends" who'd climbed to the top of the counter & got him out of his cage to play with him, while I was taking care of somethings and their mother was off getting stoned, I found out later... I got him a new hamster, that did very well until last year...he fell to the hands of my then 3 yr old nephew, Brandon...

We adopted a dog from the shelter in Austin just prior to moving up here almost two years ago. She was a Finnish Spitz...unfortunately she *disappeared* a few months after moving here, right before Thanksgiving...

Then we got LugNut. LugNut is a Mini Schnauzer mixed with some sort of terrier/schnauzer...goofiest looking dog, she's a nut. Loves sleeping in the bed, under the covers, head on the pillows, right smack dab in the middle of Brian & I...so long as we're both in bed at the same time...otherwise she's on the bottom bunk with which ever child happens to be sleeping there...until I go to bed...if there is no child in the bottom bunk she's sleeping on the couch directly behind me or her blanket on the floor right behind me...

Shortly after moving into this house a year ago I was shopping at WM and stumbled across this pretty calico kitten in the parking lot...She's our currently expecting, any day now, kitty named Piston.

Noticing the naming trend.... lol

Anyways, we picked up a couple of puppies here and there...always finding a new home for them shortly afterward....

Then my mail lady shows up with a kitten she found at the dumpsters down the road, and since I was standing outside at that time she talked me into taking him. He was such a scrawny little thing & Piston HATED him, with a PASSION...the dogs were just fine with him. We named him Spark Plug. He's the daddy to the babies Piston is going to be having before too long...but he came up missing right at 4 weeks ago. No clue what happened to him, I've scoured the highway looking for evidence of him, there has been none. But we do live at the edge of the woods & there is a fox, some oppossums, armadillos, stray dogs around here, so there really is no telling. And sometimes cats just do these things...

We did have a Jack Russell, named Lucky. He's just too much for this small house & small kids.

But all in all we're looking forward to the new influx of the next generation of our furbabies...and hopefully the last spawning from these two as I will be finding a vet that can get them in immediately when I call for an appointment to have them fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment