Sunday, January 24, 2010

Garden Plans 2010

Yes, I'm already starting to plan my garden this year! I had a bit of success last year with the companion & organic gardening, and I'm hoping to repeat my success, then some this year!

January thru mid-February I'm going to get my garden prepared. This involves bringing in more dirt, stirring the dirt that is there to aerate it, bringing in some compost, etc.

Mid-February I'm going to start the leaf lettuce, spinach, snap peas, carrots, and radishes outside - they're quite tolerate to being snowed on, iced on, and frosted. Inside I'm going to start the broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage plants to plant in late-February/early March, they're also cold hardy and didn't seem to mind last year the couple of frosts and freezes we did get.

Late-February I'm going to start my other main plants : tomatoes, oregano, cilantro, parsley, chives, bell peppers, etc inside, in my mini green house.

By the end of March the weather should be such that I can transfer all my plants outdoors and get to start watching them all grow!

YUMMY!

When my snap pea plants are done producing I'm going to be pulling them out and replacing them with green beans. Once it gets hot enough that the lettuce, spinach, etc has gone to seed I'll be replacing them with okra & potato plants.

I'm not going to be doing onions or celery this year...last year they just took too long and I was quite disappointed overall. SO I have about another 20 square feet of space to fill in with things I can either can or freeze - most likely freeze, just not quite sure what would go well in that area, unless I build the "walls" up a little higher and get quite a bit more dirt. This is a shallow area (only about 6 inches deep) so I'm not sure yet...

In the fall, after summer has shown signs of cooling I'll be planting my cooler weather plants again: lettuce, radishes, spinach, broccoli, & cauliflower. Well, last year I neglected to remove two of my broccoli plants after they went to seed and the grasshoppers ate them to nubs, but by mid-fall I noticed their leaves had become vibrant again and they were again producing broccoli heads, so I'm going to try to see if that works this year too...maybe...

Dates and such are all dependent on if this Oklahoma weather cooperates!

No comments:

Post a Comment